true knot and v-day

true knot, n.:
an intertwining of a segment of umbilical cord commonly formed by the fetus slipping through a loop of the cord.  a substance called Wharton's jelly provides cushioning around the important vessels of the cord and protects them even if the cord gets knotted.  as long as the knot remains loose, it won't cause harm to your baby.  but if the knot becomes tight, it could interfere with circulation of blood from the placenta to the baby and cause oxygen deprivation.

a new thing to be thankful for: wharton's jelly

last v day andrew and i went to a magic show at the Plaza with dad and signorelli.  this v day andrew was in colorado, and dad is gone.  i am really glad my our last words were love via this text message.

note: mom, you have to be here for like 100 more years. no last words. ever.

You came to the side of the bed
and sat staring at me.
Then you kissed me -- I felt
hot wax on my forehead.
I wanted it to leave a mark:
that's how I knew I loved you.
Because I wanted to be burned, stamped,
to have something in the end --
...
We will always know that, you and I.
The proof will be my body.
The Encounter by Louise Gluck

i love valentines day now. because of the kids. this is the greatest love i have known. so it is fabulous to celebrate. 
this holiday bugged me a bit as a teenager, and it bugged char too. "well, that was not so good a day," she said as she walked thru the door, giving me a big long hug. "i did not get anything. only the people with boyfriends or girlfriends got stuff.  nobody got me anything."  she should have gotten everything.  
i loathe when my kids feel pain or sadness.  even over things i know they have to go through and is simply part of the human experience.  but i am glad she does not have a boyfriend.  
dev took chocolate bars for a few friends. he seemed unmoved by the school day, but he loved the notes i left him in my Valentine on the Hour i did for the kids.
deac had his first legit vday party. he took individual cupcakes and had a ice cream sundae party. then retired to the playground for a rousing game of tag. he was living large.
happy happy love day because in the end i have something, we will always know that.




Comments

Popular Posts