Everett Lee

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow--
Not at all like proper childen, which is always very slow...

 "My Shadow"  Robert Louis Stevenson

This boy turned two.  He is a gift that came to me when I was least deserving.  He has healed and grounded our family in such a profound way. 
His eyes have changed from his original deep blue to a crystalline blue green.  Those eyes gazed at me while he was an infant and still often stare at my eyes in communication. He arrived with unique personality that has grown so comedic he dominates most of the photos on my camera roll. His strong will makes the theory of child redirection obsolete. He cannot be persuaded to any other path then the one he has his mind set to at the moment.  This trait leads to many tantrums and much frustration since I have to thwart many of his ideas. (here I had taken away my iphone...tragedy)
  As much as I am his buzz kill, I am his delight.  He is a finicky friend to even his family and will not keep company with many of them unless he decidedly is in the mood, however, he is always game for his mom.  He is always game for his dog.  He loves dogs and has a best buddy in his dog Cooper.  He enjoys his dog way more then he enjoys his baby brother. For now.
Everett is so intelligent.  He understands English very well, but has yet to speak much of it.  He says mom, hot, up, apple, hello there and deven.  However, his communication is exacting even without words.  If I have the baby in my arms he will wave his grandma over and motion for her to take the baby so I can hold him.  
Our park play dates always have him immediately leaving the pack of kids to wander on his own.  He likes climbing the big dirt hill by the park, or throwing dirt from the flower pots out front, or digging in the dirt out back.  He also loves balls and can throw very well and hard.  
His appetite is small and he prefers fresh fruit and meat over any typical kid foods.  He will spit out macaroni and cheese, potato foods or pasta and say "uck." However, I think he has developed a taste for dog food as he will often enjoy a shared meal of kibble with Cooper.
Thirteen year old Deven has become very fond of him and he prefers Deven over any of his siblings. Most mornings I walk into Deven's room to find Everett in bed sleeping on Deven's chest.  Ev loves 8 year old Deacon, but Ev bullies him around.  Deacon's sweet personality is dominated by this demanding two year old. After spending the day with Everett, my sister in law sent me an article in a parenting magazine "Raising a Strong Willed Child -- It is not a Bad Trait." 
When she thought no one was listening the other day, my mom expressed to Everett, as he was clowning, "I hope I get to see you grow into an adult, because you will be a unique man."  We all look forward to each day with you kid.  You are a force to be admired.


Comments

Popular Posts